Friends of the Kaw is seeking a qualified, highly motivated individual to fill the position of the Kansas RIVERKEEPER® (KRK). The KRK is primarily responsible for developing and implementing programs that limit pollution from the waters of the Kansas River basin, educating the public on water quality issues and best practices, and increasing public awareness of the Kansas River as a community resource to be valued and protected.
The KRK is an independent contractor and reports to the President of the Friends of the Kaw (FOK) Board of Directors. FOK is the primary public representative and spokesperson for FOK in the Kansas River watershed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a full time public advocate for the Kansas River, monitoring, documenting and reporting environmentally harmful activity and advising the public and agencies on enforcement actions, remediation and habitat enhancement
- Proactively identify emerging developments, regulations, rules and trends that may affect the Kansas River
- Search and apply for private and governmental Grants that support the program activities of FOK
- Managed the timely execution of approved grants, supervise contractors hired to execute grant objectives, prepare grant reports as necessary
- Serve as the FOK representative at city, county, state and federal meetings and hearings involving the Kansas River
- Develop networks for problem reporting and collaboration among the citizens of the Kansas River and appropriate government organizations
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource to federal, state, and local agencies on permit reviews. Comment on public, private, and governmental activities that may impact the Kansas River
Secondary Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervise planning and promotion of fundraising events and other outreach events throughout the year
- Recruit community volunteers to assist with FOK activities
- Schedule and attend educational floats trips
- Supervise content and delivery of newsletter
- Supervise the maintenance of membership list and timely annual membership renewals
- Ensure website content is accurate and current
- Respond to inquiries received by phone/email
- Supervise FOK staff and volunteers as needed
- Ensure FOK equipment is maintained
- Prepare monthly status report to be reviewed by the board
- Support Executive Committee on an as needed basis
The successful candidate will:
- Have a thorough understanding of environmental and regulatory issues that affect water quality
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and advanced in online communication tools
- A degree in environmental science or a related field is a plus, but is not required
- Be comfortable around the water and in operating a variety of watercrafts
- Have excellent organization and time management skills. Have the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Works independently with little direction from others
To apply: E-mail resume and cover letter to Friends of the Kaw at email@example.com by December 15, 2014
To download a Word document of this information, click here.
Friends of the Kaw is an environmental not-for-profit corporation established in 1997 in Lawrence, Kansas. Its mission is to preserve, protect and defend the Kansas River.